Tuesday, January 16, 2007

A cultural amalgam

short takes on current events

Tom Waits' "Brawlers, Bawlers, and Bastards"

This was wrapped up and under the tree for Christmas. I've had a chance to listen to it several times now. It's a great collection of songs, most original--maybe all. There are five or six songs that are instant classics. He has a few songs you can listen to on his myspace page. It's definitely worth checking out.

Zora Neale Hurston's Their Eyes were Watching God

So I confess I've never read this. But apparently the whole city will be reading it during the month of February. So get your hands on a copy and let's see what this is like.

The Good Shepherd

Went to see this a week or so ago. Found it to be a really enjoyable move. Well photographed, good music, smart story that keeps you wondering (even after the movie ends). Highly recommended.

Lyle Lovett

Will be in concert in Louisville this weekend and I'm looking foreward to seeing him. He's appearing with an all-star group that also includes Joe Ely. I've never seen Lovett live but I have high hopes. Review to come.

Johnnie Berry and Roller Derby?

Saturday at Headliners. What more is there to say about that combination. I really do feel like I should go buy overalls.

Later.



No comments: