Saturday, September 04, 2010

FujiFilm S5200 Camera with 2GB XD Card

Wharf 4A few years ago I bought a FujiFilm FinePix S5200 camera. At the time I bought a 256mb XD card, which has been fine ever since. But I decided recently it was time for a storage upgrade. I looked at the manual that came with the camera and the largest card it said the camera supported was 512mb. So I checked the FujiFIlm website to see if they had any updated information and found their compatibility chart, which indicated that the S5200 was compatible with cards up to 2GB.

I bought a couple of cards and when I inserted one in the camera and turned it on the display indicated a "card error." I tried turning the camera on and formatting the card, but the card wouldn't format. It tried, but then showed the "card error" message again. I tried to email a question to FujiFilm about the compatibility issue but the form failed when I submitted it. So I was about to give up when I decided I'd try taking the batteries out of the camera. I did that. Then put in the new 2GB card and turned the camera on. That did it.

So, yes, the 2GB M+ card will work with the S5200 camera. No firmware update is needed, but you'll probably need to take the batteries out of the camera before you swap the card.

No comments: